Translation: Hill of Bardine
Region: (Southern) Highlands
The king is dead, long live the king!
On the wall of the Visitor Center of Tullibardine emblazoned in large letters the year "1488". However, this does not refer to the founding of the distillery. It came about 460 years later. But on the site where today Tullibardine stands, there was already a brewery for centuries. And it is said that Scottish King James IV bought beer at this same brewery in 1488 to celebrate his coronation at the Scone Palace.
Incidentally, King James IV (known in German as "Jacob IV.") Was the last British king to die on the battlefield in 1513, at the Battle of Flodden Field. He fell there fighting the English army. Reason enough to set him a memorial in a Scottish distillery.
A little history
The distillery was built in 1949 incorporating an old brewery. Already in 1953 Tullibardine went to the company Brodie Hephurn Ltd., which in turn were taken over 1971 by Invergordon. In 1973, the number of stills was doubled from two to four. Whyte & Mackay (a daughter of Fortune Brands) bought the distillery in 1993 and mothballed it in 1994. In 2003 Tullibardine was founded by a consortium called Tullibardine Distillery Ltd. bought and produced again since then. Since 2011, the distillery belongs to the French company Picard Vins & Spiritueux
What do I actually have in the glass?
The Tullibardine is a wonderfully soft, yet full, luscious malt whiskey. Vanilla meets delicate spices and a fine sweetness among all. Why is this malt not more popular? One does not know.
3 reasons to love Tullibardine
1) Because the still young, but pretty distillery is worth a visit.
2) Because over 100,000 visitors a year can not all be wrong.
3) Because the whiskey has its own character.
The one drama for the lonely island
The 20-year-old original bottling is a dream for those who like to be soft and warm. Vanilla, toffee, oats, a touch of ginger and lots of honey - like Christmas biscuits in front of the fireplace.
numbers and facts
Address: Blackford, Perthshire PH4 1QG
Founded in 1949 by William Delmé-Evans
Owner: Picard Vins & Spiritueux
Capacity: approx. 2,700,000 liters
2 wash stills (21,500 l)
2 Spirit stills (16.200 l)
Water: Ochill Hills, Danny Burn
Visitor Center: yes
Telephone: +44 (0) 1764 - 682252